Wednesday, September 4, 2013

#DKTop10 Feat. Diviniti Divine [Women On Wax Recordings / Whasdat Music] 010

Real Name: Terri Smith
Hometown:  Detroit, Michigan
Hustle (what do u do):  educator, singer, songwriter
Genre: house, soul
Record Label/Brand:  I have had music released on several labels, but most of my work can be found on Women On Wax, Whasdat Music, Peng Records, Miso Records, Especial Records and others.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Top 10

1.  DJ Minx feat. Diviniti - Move - Women On Wax
2.  Kerri Chandler - Rain (Original Mix and Atjazz Remix) - Nervous Records
3.  Sabrina Malheiros - Estacao verao 
4.  The Foreign Exchange - Leave it All Behind
5.  Simon & Garfunkel - Homeward Bound 
6.   Dawn Tallman - God - Honeycomb Music
7.  Anything from Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album
8.  Vick Lavender meets Pirahnahead and Diviniti - "Let It Go" - Whasdat Music
9.  Anything from Steely Dan's "Aja" album
10.  Anything from Jamiroquai's "The Return of the Space Cowboy" album








DK: Please tell us a bit about your selection.
I think my selections are a good snapshot of the range of things I can be listening to at any given time.  Listening to different types of music is a plus for any songwriter.  You never know where inspiration lies. 

DK: To someone that hasn't been exposed to your work, how would you describe "Who is Diviniti"?
Diviniti is a singer and songwriter who is known for her meaningful lyrics and pure, beautiful, and harmonic vocal style.  

DK: When did you discover your love for house music?
I really got into house during the early 80s.  Once I got to high school one of my closest friends was a DJ (Terrence Parker) so that made it even better for me.

DK: As a woman, what were some of the biggest challenges you faced in music?
I can't say I have faced any challenges in music that are based on me being a woman - and that may be because I am a vocalist.  I know that some of my friends who are DJs and female have had their share of difficulty.  In some people's thinking, female DJs are still a novelty but women have always been behind the mic.  Some people are still more comfortable with us there singing rather than behind the turntables. 

DK: What inspires you to continue writing, recording and performing after all these years?
I get inspiration from many things. When it comes to writing lyrics, I tap into the energy of the music I'm writing to and let that inspire me. I sometimes write about things that I think about, or believe; I write about things that are happening in the lives of people I know; sometimes I even write about the way I would like for things to be in general. My love of the music and the support and appreciation from fans is what keeps me inspired to continue recording. 

DK: How do you balance your music with other obligations?
It's probably not as difficult as you might think. I have made it a practice to write lyrics when the feeling hits me. I've learned that when I force it, it doesn't work out too well. Looking at my music in that way, it makes it easier to balance everything. If I'm not feeling it, I leave it alone, focus on other things for a while, and then come back to it. 

DK: Your most memorable live performance?
All of my performances have been memorable for one reason or another. My performance at the Detroit Electronic Music Festival in the early 2000s was amazing. It was the first time I performed with a live band. There was a horn section, percussion section, background vocalists...it was awesome. My performances in Japan have been great too. The crowds there are so energetic and enthusiastic about the music. You can't help but to feed off of that energy and give it right back.  Just this summer I had one of those experiences during a performance in Chicago. Great crowd and SO much love. 

DK: What's that one thing you feel the world doesn't know yet about Diviniti?
Well, those who are close to me know - I am really into classic rock!  I occasionally listen to the radio and the music that "in" right now or on the Billboard charts, but my heart is with the classic rock of the 60s and 70s. I absolutely love it. 
 
DK: What more can we expect from you in the near future?
Music, music, music!  

DK: Any message for your S.A female fans?
I want all of my South African fans - male and female - to know how much I appreciate all of their support. They are amazing and their love and support is invaluable. 
 
We hope you enjoyed this as much as we love doing it for you, a huge thanks to Diviniti for her time to do this with us. Please look her up on Facebook and also on Twitter:
 
Find us on
 

No comments:

Post a Comment