Wednesday, August 14, 2013

#DKTop10 : Women's Month Edition Feat. Pabi

Real name:Paballo Dichaba
Hometown: Kroonstad
Hustle: DJ and full time student
Genre: Soulful and Deep House
 
 
 


 
Top 10
(no specific order)

1. Leela James - Good Time
2. Nastee Nev ft Donald Sheffey - Take Me
3. Dj Fortee ft Tshepo - Beautiful World
4. Al Coda ft Bongz Jazzman - Jazz Symptoms
5. Elements of Life  - Children of the World
6. Dawn Tallman - Believe in Love
7. The Layabouts ft Shea Soul - Perfectly
8. Nastee Nev - Close to Midnight
9. Deep Xcape - After the Rain
10. Original Buddhas - Monday Blues
 
 

 
DK: Tell us a bit about your Top 10 selection.
These tracks remind me of the memories I've made along the way. Good Time is my track for women's month. They remind me of how much I love vocals. I always feel so incomplete when i play a set without any vocals.


DK: Tell us a bit about 'Pabi'
I am a student at NWU-Vaal and I am currently doing my final year in BA Psychology and Sociology (please don't think i can analyze people, I get that all the time lol). I am driven and motivated by success. When I grow up i want to be like my mommy.


DK: In your opinion do you think Vaal female DJs are given any platform?
No. People often undermine and underestimate our abilities. for example, I can walk up to the dj booth and be given nasty looks by other male djs, but once I finish playing, they change, se ba nthabela which is uncool. Where is the equality in all of this?? I find it sad really.


DK: What inspired you to get into music?
I've always loved music. Funny thing is, I used to listen to a lot of rnb and hip hop. I had about four T.I and Usher albums lol. I started listening to house back in High School. I'd ask my friends to give me music then they'd just give me Kent's ultimix mixes just so i could get off their backs. Ne ke tena batho. How embarrassing. As time went by, I started enjoying real house music to a point where I felt being a "House Head'' was no enough. That's when I started learning how to dj (2010).


DK: Tell us about your first set, how was that experience?
My first set was a DISASTER!!! It was at Ha Basie Detox. My nerves?? They were uncontrollable and people had these expectations that I had to be good. I learned how to play indoors with those huge home theatre systems and I was comfortable because it was just me and my ''teacher''. When I got out there, it was a different story. But it was a learning experience, I must say.
 
DK: Highlight of your music journey so far?
Great hey. From playing with the best in the Vaal and the Free State. The greatest moment was when I got to play at the Mozolo Beach Party. I've always wanted to play there. I've also worked with Redsquare which was intense but fun at the same time. My parents complain all the time but become silent once the money comes in. hahaha


DK: What has been the biggest challenge for you as a dj?
The biggest challenge you ask??It has to be always asking for a chance to play. People always say ''banana ha ba batle ho fetwa'' so it makes it hard for female djs to deal with this male dominated field.


DK: What's the one thing you'd change about entertainment in the Vaal?
I was thinking of avoiding this question. The fact that I want to avoid it shows that there is a problem in the vaal. There is no sense of ''unity'' here. People are just doing their own thing, especially those who have been doing it for longer, the "Legends". If people could just stop thinking they're invincible then I believe it will make it easier for everyone to work together as one.


DK: What's in the pipeline for Pabi as a Dj?
I think I am the only dj that doesn't have a mixtape. I am thinking of recording one before the end of the year. After my BA, I would like to do my Honours and Masters and hopefully complete them withing the next 3-4 years. Education is everything in my family so hopefully that will go according to plan. More projects to come from Seipati and I as well.


DK: Any words for young aspiring female DJs?
My message to aspiring female djs, firstly, DON"T DOUBT YOURSELF. Things may be hard at first but it is always nice to reap the rewards of your hard work. Secondly, GET EDUCATED. I always say "it's a tough world we're living in", so it's always better if someone has a plan B.

Big thanks to Pabi for her time to do this with us, after watching her grow in music this past year there's no doubt with more of her passion and patience she's heading to be one the best female Dj's in the country.


Find us on:

Facebook: Deep Knights Unleashed
Twitter: Deep_Knights
email: deepknights1@hotmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment