Wednesday, August 7, 2013

#DKTop10 : Women's Month Edition Feat. Lisa Shaw [Salted Music / Naked Music]


Real Name:  Lisa Shaw
Hometown: Toronto, Canada
Hustle (what do u do):  I am singer/songwriter, recording artist & performer
Genre: soul, deep house, electronic, broken beat, jazz
Record Label/Brand: Salted Music, Naked Music



 
 
( not in order of preference)

1. "I'll Follow You" ( Magician Remix)  Lykke Li
2. "Ritual Reunion", Little Dragon
3. "Dance & Clap", Miguel Migs
4. "I Want Your Love" Chic
5. "Moments in Love" Art Of Noise"
6. "Outstanding" The Gap Band
7.  "Love Hangover" Diana Ross
8. " Just Be Good To Me" SOS Band
9.   "Tighten Up"  The Black Keys
10. "Stand Back" Fleetwood Mac




DK: Please tell us a bit about your Top 10 Selection.
I'm pretty diverse in my taste in music and as you can see some of these are older tracks and some are new but I've played these songs forever and I'm still not tired of them.  I would love to give you 10 more of my favorites since I feel like I've neglected so many but maybe next time:-)


DK: To someone that hasn't been exposed to your work, how would you describe "Who is Lisa Shaw"?
Though speaking of myself in the 3rd person is  kinda odd and describing my music is even more difficult but I guess the best way to describe me would be 


"Lisa Shaw is a soulful house singer  who's voice is most often compared to the singer "Sade" but she carries her own sound.   Her music  ranges from downtempo soul all the way to dance floor grooves and though she has  been featured on many different genres throughout her career, she is best known for her recordings on Naked Music and Salted Music.  

 DK: Your Single "Let it ride" was the biggest single to hit S.A back in the days, what inspired the song?
At the time, I was in a relationship and we were both getting a little head strong in our disagreements, and for most, that often leads to saying things you don't mean.  My mother always said "words are strong and you can never take them back so becareful and if you find yourself in that situation, take a deep breath and a long walk".  It always worked for me!


(I didn't know that" Let It Ride" was so big in S.A and that is really awesome!)

 DK: After all these years do you still enjoy touring?
Yes..very much!  It takes a toll sometimes when the shows are super late at and the flights are early in the morning  but nothing beats experiencing different cultures,  meeting new people, exploring new cities and  my favorite part...FOOD!   When I am on the road for a long time I miss being home but then when I'm home I am itching to get back on the road to perform.  It's a double edged sword but honestly my least favorite part of touring are the airports and flying has taken a real toll on my back over the years!

 DK: What do you do when you not busy with music?
If I am not working on music, I am usually cooking or planning what to cook days ahead of time. I've been in the kitchen since I was around 10 and I read cookbooks all day.  My family is Jamaican so it was apart of our upbringing to be in the kitchen helping and prepping and learning how to cook. My mother let me loose when she saw how much I loved it and though I made quite the mess (and still do) it has become my zone for meditation.

 DK: What's the one thing that's been keeping you motivated all these years?
My fans for sure!  My family and friends as well but I really have to say the fans and the love that I have received has kept me going all these years. It's important to have faith in yourself but affirmation with your "Art" is important and when others like what you do it gives you reason to keep going.  It's fuel for heart, soul & creative mind. 

DK: Do you ever get nervous when you about to perform?
Sure! The stomach jitters never really goes away but once I am on the stage and start to sing it disappears, I am comfortable and happy.  Those feelings are important but it's a matter of channeling that energy into the right places and then it can work for you and not against you.

DK: If you could change one thing in the world, what would it be and why?
RACISM!  I know some people would say there would be no poor or starving people or even wars but racism is the root of all evil and I believe it is why those other problems exist in the first place.

DK: What more can we expect from Lisa Shaw in the near future?
Definitely more music to come and at the moment I am working on another album and a few singles with various producers. 

DK: Finally, What message would you give to South African women in music?
Be brave, be strong and be true to yourself in the choices you make but most of all don't be afraid to be who you are.  Though opportunity gets you in the door it's talent that keeps you there.  Individuality is what separates you from everyone else and though it's a hard business the need to share your voice supersedes  all other reasoning. There is a need to feed your soul and that becomes just as important as sharing with others. 


We can't be thankful enough to Lisa Shaw for doing this with us, and not just for us but all the Women is South Africa as we celebrate their month.
 
 
Find us on:


Facebook: Deep Knights Unleashed
Twitter: Deep_Knights


No comments:

Post a Comment